Question:
Anybody know why Germans cut in front of you, and then get mad at YOU if you get angry?
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
Anybody know why Germans cut in front of you, and then get mad at YOU if you get angry?
Thirteen answers:
2006-08-04 08:49:33 UTC
I have lived in Germany for about 30 years and I haven't had this problem so far. Perhaps I'm just very lucky and you were very unlucky or we lived in different Germanys or you are in fact a little bit on the aggressive side, when you get angry.

@Rillifane: "The result is the universally recognized German rudeness, sense of entitlement, and historic propensity for barbaric behavior."

Being an universally recognized rude babarian I'm entitled to say it like this: That's complete bullshit!
?
2006-08-04 09:48:04 UTC
1.) Because You're too slow reaching the end of the line?

2.) If you're in a hurry you should get angry about yourself not being fast enough instead of blaming others for your lack of speed. After 20 years in Germany you should know the saying: "Wie man in den Wald ruft, so schallt es heraus." An angry question will most likely result in an angry reply - everywhere!

3.) I know many Germans (probably more than you) and therefore I must say: Your stereotype is an unjust generalization!

@Rillifane: I am over 200 years old as most germans are and met with Napoleon personally in the early 19th century when he reduced the number of german states. Show old people some respect and allow them a bit of rudeness against persons like you not knowing much of what they're talking about, and understanding even less.

Have a closer look at your own "national character"! Although I doubt that there's anything like that: only stereotypes based upon a lack of knowledge!
just_two_01
2006-08-04 05:26:54 UTC
Sorry, but it happens everywhere. Go buy an island and live in a perfect world.
deluxe_pow
2006-08-04 05:24:21 UTC
uh oh.. i smell racial stereotyping..
Paris Hilton
2006-08-06 01:25:37 UTC
If this has happened to you for 20 years I suspect you are the problem.....I never had it.....
2006-08-04 22:45:54 UTC
I agree with you. I lived in Germany for 3 years and I loved to go to the carnivals and festivals they had. I went to get in line for one ride but then I noticed there was no line! You had to hop on to the ride when it was still moving and get on. Problem was that I had 30 year olds knocking me out of the way. After 10 minutes of trying to get on this ride I gave up. Oh, I don't think it is just a German thing, I think it is just the way European are. I had an Italian neighbor and she was that way too. I just learned to deal with it though.
Lizzy
2006-08-04 10:38:52 UTC
hey i´m livin in germany and i got the same problems with germans. it seems they´re more rude than ppl from other nations. but i guess you have realized germans are very busy and accurate ppl that can´t stand not bein right. just take them as they r and do it like me: just fight for your right as they do!
2006-08-04 05:24:21 UTC
maybe you should try the german yahoo answers for that =)
eddievanhalen
2006-08-04 12:17:31 UTC
hey, db, I'm all with you. I've been here 15 years now and it does happen every once in a while. sure, no generalizations, but an American would NEVER do that. One asks where the end of the line is, and standing in line is a first come, first serve thing. Basta.

I personally think that this is part of the "elbow-out community" which is more prevelent in larger cities.

You need to approach the the person differently. You need to be almost so sacastic, but with a genuine soul, and muster up a "excuse me, are you in a great hurry, or is there another reason why you didn't que up behind me?"

Most "feel caught" and excuse themselves. One tip to all germans: don't ever try this in the States. You may get hurt.
Rillifane
2006-08-04 06:09:10 UTC
It appears to be part of the German national character.

Barbara Tuchman, in The Guns of August, notes that Germans were filled with genuine moral indignation when Belgium resisted invasion.

I suspect that this arises from the manner in which Germany became unified and its lightning transformation into a "Great Power."

Prior to German unification, the collection of some 300 petty states which which were to become Germany were regarded as something of a joke. They were seen as a gaggle of petty princlings building copies of Versailles, strutting around in fancy uniforms, heaping honors on each other and generally making fools of themselves. Prussia had some influence and power but it was at the price of becoming, as was said at the time, not a State with an Army but an Army with a State.

The brilliant maneuvering of Bismarck which created the German Reich left the resulting state with a citizenry which felt the need to compensate for centuries of being "dissed."

The result was a nation and people who were pugnacious yet unsure of themselves, proud of some very real accomplishments and yet also filled with a sense unworthiness.

2006-08-04 22:22:11 UTC
Hell, I'm German and it's often true.
nunya
2006-08-04 05:25:18 UTC
Maybe the weather. People who live in cold climates tend to be a rough bunch.
2006-08-04 23:15:08 UTC
there raceist and hate everyone